The bookmarklet is a button you add to your browser's Bookmarks Toolbar so you can easily save links to Delicious.
Installing the bookmarklet is easy:
- First, make sure your browser's bookmark toolbar is visible. Choose "Favorites bar" in View > Toolbars.
- Second, drag the bookmarklet button to the right to your Bookmarks Toolbar.
- That's it! Now, to save a webpage to Delicious, just click on your bookmarklet to open the save window. Add notes, tags, images or highlight text on the page to add it to your comments.
Bookmarklet 2.0 (Beta)
The bookmarklet lets you easily add links to your Delicious account directly from any page on your browser. It is currently supported for Chrome and Firefox (we are still working on Internet Explorer support).
To install the bookmarklet, just drag the ‘Save on Delicious’ button on the right to the bookmarks toolbar (not the navigation bar) of your browser and click the button any time you want to add a new link. It’s that simple!
The new features in this version include:
- A smoother and faster interface which opens the bookmarklet directly within each page (rather than opening a brand new browser window).
- Use the tab key on your keyboard to cycle through the title, tag, comment, privacy, and Add link fields without needing to use your mouse. Type ctrl+Enter at any point to immediately save the link.
- As you select suggested tags to use, additional available tag options now automatically show up in the area below the tag box.
This version of the bookmarklet is currently still in beta -- meaning there may still be kinks to work out – so feel free to send over any feedback (or bugs you’ve spotted) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bookmarklet for iPad / iPhone
If you're willing to take a few extra steps, you can install the Delicious bookmarklet into the browser on an iPhone or iPad so you can save links directly to Delicious. Here's how:
- Open this page from your iPad or iPhone.
- Click the action button (Square with Arrow on it) on your iPad / iPhone and choose "Add Bookmark".
- Edit the Title of the bookmark to say "Add to Delicious" (or whatever you like).
- Save the bookmark
- Copy the code below. (Hold your finger down on it until the copy paste handles pop up, then select it all and copy it).
- Open your bookmarks (tap the book symbol).
- Edit your bookmarks (tap the edit button).
- Choose the "Add to Delicious" bookmark you just created.
- Click on the URL and delete it.
- Paste the code you copied in the earlier step (tap and hold your finger in the empty field until the Paste option appears).
- Return to the bookmarks, tap "Done" and you're finished.
- To use it, when you're on a web page you'd like to save, open the Bookmarks folder (tap the book symbol) and tap the "Add to Delicious" bookmark. You'll be able to edit any notes and save the link straight into Delicious.
With a "Save this on Delicious" button, you can provide your site visitors an easy way to save it to Delicious. Here is an example (with an image added before the link):
<img src="http://previous.delicious.com/static/img/delicious.small.gif" height="10" width="10" alt="Delicious" /> <a href="http://previous.delicious.com/save" onclick="window.open('http://previous.delicious.com/save?v=5&noui&jump=close&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title), 'delicious','toolbar=no,width=550,height=550'); return false;"> Save this on Delicious</a>
A quick word of advice: Don't do this unless you are a geek.
To place this on your front page, go to Presentation -> Theme Editor -> Main Index Template. You may place the following code where you wish:
<img src="http://previous.delicious.com/static/img/delicious.small.gif" height="10" width="10" alt="Delicious" /> <a href="http://previous.delicious.com/save" onclick="window.open('http://previous.delicious.com/save?v=5&noui&jump=close&url='+encodeURIComponent('<?php the_permalink() ?>')+'&title='+encodeURIComponent('<?php the_title() ?>'),'delicious', 'toolbar=no,width=550,height=550'); return false;"> Save this on Delicious</a>
In your Main Index and Individual Archive templates, after </MTIfAllowComments>, add:
<img src="http://previous.delicious.com//static/img/delicious.small.gif" height="10" width="10" alt="Delicious" /> <a href="http://previous.delicious.com/save" onclick="window.open('http://previous.delicious.com/save?v=5&noui&jump=close&url='+encodeURIComponent(<$MTEntryPermalink$>)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(<$MTEntryTitle$>),'delicious', 'toolbar=no,width=550,height=550'); return false;"> Save this on Delicious</a>